Tuesday 23 July 2013

File and default application association

OK, today I've been messing with my music collection. I've decided to use "Quod Libet" as my music player. It's much simpler than "banshee" which has just too many options and other rubbish I won't use on it. Quod Libet is much simpler and has the options for any plugins I may want to add in the future..and my favourite thing about it is that is has a nice file viewer which is exactly how I like to choose my music (from the folder it is stored in).

Anyway I set everything up but found under menu / system settings / details / default applications I could not associate Quod Libet with the option to play all music files as the default player. It just was not there. it wasn't under "other applications" either.

After some searching of forums I found the process to add it. Apparently you need to associate the file type to the application, just as you would in Windows, but for some reason I have not discovered on my Linux learning curve Quod Libet is not showing as an application on the list.

So how to do it. Instead of using Nemo (the standard file manager) you need to use "Thunar" an alternative one (maybe a permission thing ?). Luckily I already had that installed so I navigated to it on the menu / system tools and there I opened a music file in the .ogg format, which is the type of music file I want Q L (lets call it that from now on) to play. From within the file manager view that listed the contents of the folder I was in I chose an .ogg file and right clicked on it to bring up the properties dialogue. Here it gave me the option to associate the file type with an application. Scrolling down, Q L was there. I associated it with the file by making sure the check mark was crossed and applied using the button for this. Easy, it associated the file system wide and now everytime I click on an Ogg Vorbis music file type Q L comes up to play it.

It even shows now as linked on the system details screen.

I've come across this situation with other file types and applications and now I have the answer !

No comments:

Post a Comment