Sunday 12 January 2014

Fixing Channel 4OD & Demand5 Video playback

So, I've always had a problem playing back 4OD streaming content. I've tried lots of fixes and none worked. I've finally found a fix that does work on this link.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=146676

Just in case it disappears the  process is:

Remove the adobe cache

Terminal
rm ~/.adobe -rf

Install hal and hal-info (hardware abstraction layer)

Terminal
sudo apt-get install hal hal-info

Then link (ln) hal between /usr/share and /etc/ (make sure of the space between hal/ And /etc/)

Terminal
sudo ln -sn /usr/share/hal/ /etc/hal

I then went to the adobe folder

Terminal
cd ~/.adobe/Flash_Player

and removed the three files NativeCache, AssetCache, APSPrivateData2

Terminal
rm -rf NativeCache AssetCache APSPrivateData2


I don't know if all the steps are needed but it seemed to work so I'm happy !

UPDATE:

Well since I upgraded to Mint 16 Petra, which uses Ubuntu Saucy
 13.10 Demand5 stopped working.
Found a fix here though:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/10/fixing-amazon-prime-streaming-drm-protected-flash-13-10

Quick note, close down chromium fully when in terminal, I cut and pasted the notes into Tomboy first. The Chromium icon is next to the time on the right side of the lower menu bar. Right click and exit fully closing the browser down. On next restart it should work using the ppa version fix I used.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the article. For those who live outside UK and want to access 4OD, you can use UnoTelly as I do to get around the geo block.

    ReplyDelete