Wednesday 21 August 2013

Get Plex Media Server Running Quick

OK so I've had to install Plex Media Server a few times and had problems because I had no idea what I was doing. I've read various forums and the Plex site, all of which make it seem so complex to do.
This time I knew what the problem was and did it simply and quickly.

There is no up to date Plex software in the repositories so I had to go to the plex site and download the Ubuntu 64 bit version that comes in a debian package.

I then double clicked on it to install it using the debian installer. Upon installation I opened up the menu and found under "Other" the menu item for Plex.

This opens up a webpage as it tries to log into the server as it runs. I skipped past this to the add folder page where you add your folders containing your video.

Now we come to the problem that many a page of rubbish has been written and people who know what they are doing complicate.

The problem is "permissions". The server (Plex) needs permission to read and write to the folder containing the video files.

I use my Video folder which is set up with the install of Mint in the home folder.

The easy way to set this up from the desktop without having to go into Terminal is to navigate to the home folder, right click on this folder to bring the menu up and "open as root". You need to have root permission to give Plex the permissions it needs because Plex is further down the pecking order you may say.

On putting in your password the folder will open to show its subfolders, one of which is Video (where I keep my Video files). By right clicking again on the Video folder and going to properties you open this tabbed screen where the second tab is permissions. Here is the owner and groups that can use the files within.

Go to group and scroll down the list of applications next to it until you reach Plex. You can now define which permissions plex has within these folders. Give it read and write permissions, tick the apply permissions to enclosed files and close the tab.

Voila, you can now return to the Plex web browser screen and add the Video folder or any other folders within it you wish to designate for movies, home, movies, music etc.

One other thing if there are still problems try changing permissions in the /home/.plex folder and /usr/lib, basically anywhere plex may want to write something like a config or log file. I'm just thinking of this offhand and can't exactly remember where the places are it does write but it makes sense doesn't it.

7 comments:

  1. I just dropped by to say thank you. That solved my problem, and after all this time, I have not seen this simple solution anywhere else. I've been on Linux since yesterday, and although the community seems very developed and helpful, we can't be expected to get Terminal from day 1. Thank you very much for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks.Finally an easy solution to this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just named the account or user linux asks to be named during initial install to "Plex". Now it works with no permissions issue to try to figure out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a novice at Linux Mint and this was great. This worked for files on the same drive as the Linux Mint operating system, but not for other HDD in the tower...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may be that when you are starting up Plex there has been no activity on the other drives so they are not mounted or are suspended. Thus Plex would not see them. Try opening up the file browser on a second HDD before going into Plex then seeing if Plex reads the now available disc files on that drive. If it is this you may need to wake up the drive with a command when you start Plex each time.

      Delete